General Information | Staff |
Schedule, Availability and Cost | Parent Reminders
Monthly Calendar | Monthly Newsletter | Pictures
Our licensed group daycare program provides a safe, nurturing learning environment for families who need child care for children aged 30 months to 5 years old. Music, art, storytelling, puzzles, crafts, science, themes, and field trips are all part of the busy daycare day.
The daycare is open Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm all year round, with the exception of stat holidays and a one week closure during the winter holidays.
We strive to provide a special kind of early learning experience, developing the child's potential - physically, socially, emotionally and intellectually. Our staff works hard to act as a complimentary extension of the home, creating a secure and caring environment for each child. The programs are based upon a "developing through play" philosophy, taking into account individual and group needs and interests. We try to expose the children to many ideas and experiences. This is partly done by the use of different weekly or monthly themes. Some themes we have used are space, sea, dinosaurs and transportation. The play materials, equipment and activities are arranged to stimulate the children's creative abilities and develop their skills in language, math, science, and daily living tasks as well as gross and fine motor skills. Our programs provide for individual choices, decision making, problem solving, sensory exploration, as well as small and large group interaction. We aim to foster self-esteem and a respect for the feelings, ideas and property of others. We also want the children to have fun, and leave each day smiling because they had such a great time.
Erin Shields is a Licensed Special Needs Early Childhood Educator, and has worked at the centre for the past 13 years in all three of the programs offered - preschool, daycare, and the Kids Klub. Erin is currently the daycare supervisor. She graduated from the Northern Lights ECE Program in June of 2003. Erin lives in Osoyoos and looks forward to someday having children of her own. She is presently working on her ECE Diploma, and has finished her Special Needs certification.
Cheryl Smith is a Licensed Special Needs Early Childhood Educator who graduated from the ECE program at the University College of the Cariboo in Kamloops, BC in 2000. Cheryl has worked with all ages in a wide variety of child care settings including positions in Austin, Texas as well as in Toronto. Cheryl returned to the Osoyoos Child Care Centre in 2005 as the preschool teacher before becoming centre manager in August of 2007. She is also working on her ECE Diploma, and has finished her Special Needs certification.
Grizela Dos Santos has worked in the child care field for the past 16 years. She has been the manager of the Kaleden Community Playschool for 13 years. Grizela has four children and has joined us as our office administrator.
Schedule, Cost, and Availability
The daycare operates Monday to Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. The cost is as follows:
For children aged 2.5 years to 3 years old:
5 days a week: $710.00 a month ($40/day)
Part time rates available - please call for more information.
For children aged 3 years to Grade One:
For over 4 hours a day:
5 days a week: $600.00 a month
4 days a week: $495.00 a month
3 days a week: $375.00 a month
2 days a week: $255.00 a month
1 day a week & drop in: $35 a day
4 hours or less per day:
5 days a week: $350.00 a month
4 days a week: $290.00 a month
3 days a week: $230.00 a month
2 days a week: $170.00 a month
1 day a week & drop in: $25 a day
Payment is due in full on the 1st of each month.
Please note: The centre is closed on weekends, as well as all stat holidays (New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, BC Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day). We are also closed for a week during the winter holidays.
Here are some pointers and reminders for parents to help make each day as smooth as possible for you, your child, and the staff.
- Children and toiletting: Children must be fully toilet-trained before enrolling in the daycare program. No diapers or pull-ups.
- Parking and gates: Remember to keep doors and gates closed behind you and remember to be careful in the parking lot. Please do not leave vehicles running when you pick up or drop off your child.
- Lunches and Snacks: Children must bring at least 2 satisfying snacks, a fulfilling lunch and a drink. We ask that all food and drinks brought to the centre be healthy and nutritious.
- Sick policy: If your child is sick, we ask that you make other care arrangements until your child is better. Sick children have a hard time keeping up with the other children, plus it makes the staff and the other kids sick, which is a hard cycle to stop. A general rule of thumb: if it's more than a sniffle or a tickle, the child can not come to the centre until he/she is well. If your child arrives appears sick at the centre, we will call you to come pick up him/her.
- Personal belongings: Any items that children bring to the centre are their responsibility and if there are difficulties with the items amongst the children, the staff will put them in the owner's backpack or in his/her cubby. Also, please remember to put your child's name on items they will be bringing so that they can be easily identified. We do ask that children leave toys at home due to the safety of some toys, and children are no longer permitted to bring their own personal bikes/scooters/etc.
- Late Pick Up: The daycare program closes at 5:00pm. We ask that parents arrive in time to get their child ready to go and speak with staff before we close. In the event that your child is picked up after 5:00 pm, a late pick up fee of $20 for the first 15 minutes and an additional $1 per minute after that PER CHILD will apply.
- Dress: Dress your child according to the weather (pack extras in case of weather changes) as we do play outside on a regular basis. Please keep in mind that we use messy materials, such as paint and glue, so children attending should wear their play clothes. The children must wear shoes at all times, and we prefer runners as sandals are often slippery and are the cause of many accidents. We suggest that each child has a spare change of clothing with them in case of spills and other accidents.
- Summer time: During the hot summer months, please ensure your child has proper walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, a refillable drink container, a bathing suit and a towel each day.
- If your child will not be attending on a scheduled day: Be sure to call us and let us know if your child will not be attending daycare on a scheduled day.
- Cubbies: Please be sure to check your child's cubby daily as all newsletters, bills, and receipts will be placed in there for you. Thanks!